Monday, August 27, 2007

My Saint Monica

Today, August 27th, is the feast of Saint Monica, mother of Saint Augustine. Saint Monica prayed for her son's conversion for 17 years before she saw him come to the faith of the Catholic Church. She died shortly thereafter in A.D. 387.

Thinking about this reminded me of the Saint Monica in my life, my mom. I was raised Catholic, left the Church for about 25 years, joined a Southern Baptist Church (in upstate NY!), went to a Southern Baptist seminary (in Texas!) and eventually stopped attending church altogether, although I still considered myself a Christian. I came back to the Catholic Church in 2004
(more details here).

I am sure that my Mom was praying for me all those years. She passed away in January of this year, a little over two years after her prayers for me were answered. I picture her and Saint Monica comparing notes on their sons. Monica was told "the child of those tears shall never perish." Amen.

Mom, I still need your prayers. I'm glad I have them.

No comments: